The Crafts Center is closed for this academic year due to continued concerns about funding shortfalls in the University Centers and the need for life safety renovations to the aging Crafts Center facility. The University Centers is a student-fee funded campus department that funds the Crafts Center, Price Center, Student Center, and Che Facility.
During the temporary closure, the facility and equipment have been secured and the equipment will be maintained. Updates about facility projects and efforts to reopen the Crafts Center will be posted to this website on a regular basis.
Regarding renovations to the facility:
- In November, the second phase of an extensive tree removal and trimming project will take place. This project is intended to mitigate the risk of harm to people and damage to structure from falling branches or trees. Project work shifted to December.
- A facility condition analysis of the Crafts Center conducted by the ISES Corporation is posted on this website.
- The UCSD Fire Marshal’s most recent inspection report is posted on this website. The report strongly recommends the installation of a sprinkler and fire alarm system before reopening the structure.
- A safety analysis of the Crafts Center structure by a structural engineer has been completed. Because of concerns raised in the report, a peer review by second structural engineer was conducted to corroborate the findings. Both reports are posted on ths website.
- University Centers is working with UCSD Facilities Design to obtain cost estimates to renovate the facility in order to address the concerns raised by the UCSD Fire Marshal, ISES study, and structural studies. The cost estimatators will also provide estimates for new construction as an alternative to renovation.
- Once a full assessment of the condition of the facility has been completed, the subject of launching a fundraising campaign will be explored.
Regarding the future operation of the Crafts Center:
- Discussions have occurred between the University Centers and UCSD Recreation about the possibility of the Recreation department coordinating the Crafts Center program in the Crafts Center. Until the Crafts Center is renovated, Recreation is exploring the feasibility of offering crafts classes on campus in other locations.
- A meeting has occurred between the University Centers and UCSD Extension to explore a similar arrangement. UCSD Extension will continue to offer photography classes in the Student Center.
If you have any questions or recommendations, email them to email@example.com
Check back for updates and progress notes.
Send questions and recommendations to :UCSD Crafts Center.